About Me

My husband, Sid, and I both teach history in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Sid was awarded a Fulbright lectureship in Japan for the 2010-2011 academic year and so we are moving to Japan with our two (reluctant) boys. :)

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Stairs

As promised, I am going to talk about stairs.  Japan is not for the infirm or handicapped. I think I have mentioned that we walk to the subway to go where we need to go.  What that really involves is walking to the station, walking down into the station via stairs, walking to the correct subway place (which involves more stairs or, if one is lucky, an escalator or two).  I don't think anyone here has a stairmaster. I am not exaggerating when I say that we climb about 1000 stairs a day. And, the staircases are so tall that often they have to be split up into levels for safety reasons. I took a picture last night of a moderately sized staircase that we walk at Kojimachi Station to get out of the station. It is not as big as the staircase at Nagatacho, the larger station. And, at one of the stations, the staircase is literally like climbing a mountain.  The boys said it is like a giant staircase at Universal Studios. 

No comments:

Post a Comment