About Me

My husband, Sid, and I both teach history in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Sid was awarded a Fulbright lectureship in Japan for the 2010-2011 academic year and so we are moving to Japan with our two (reluctant) boys. :)

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Free Money for Kids

Yesterday and today we spent registering as aliens (getting our "green cards"), signing up for the National Health Insurance Plan (free for us!), and signing up for our Ku's Children's Support Plan (we will get about $260 a month from our city just because we have kids).  It is very interesting given the debate over national healthcare at home to be taking advantage of all of these services in Japan.  But, I told Sid that I do not think it would work the same in America.  The Japanese seem so driven to do a good job--regardless of what job it is that they do.  I went to Big Camera to buy a printer and the nice salesman literally ran to find out answers to my questions--and he was getting no commission or anything. It's just his job to take care of customers. I figure it's the same with doctors here--no big salaries;  just doing their job.  I find I really like shopping here. Even when I don't buy anything the clerks pay a lot of attention.  I will miss that when I come home! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment