About Me

My husband, Sid, and I both teach history in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Sid was awarded a Fulbright lectureship in Japan for the 2010-2011 academic year and so we are moving to Japan with our two (reluctant) boys. :)

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Ikekaburo

Today we celebrated Sam's birthday and so we went to Ikekaburo.  That is one of the districts north of us.  It was like Times Square on New Year's Eve (it was a Saturday night--for those of you in NC, we are 13 hours ahead of you).  We went to an aquarium on the 10th floor of what seems to be a giant shopping mall (Sunshine City).  At the aquarium, you could pet all kinds of sea life: a shark, jelly fish, turtles, starfish, sea urchins, sea cucumbers. They also had an owl on a leash. It was like being back in America 100 years ago before people thought animals should be treated humanely!  But it was fun.  We did a little shopping afterward. Sam left his DS on the plane and we have been unable to recover so we hoped to buy a replacement.  But we can't because of the whole region thing. At any rate, we ate dinner at Shakey's Pizza.  Anyone remember Shakey's Pizza?  It was okay, but once again, stingy with the water!

I find it amazing that Japan has almost no water fountains.  It is so hot and everyone walks everywhere, but it is so hard to find free water!  I am surprised people don't just faint and die out in the hot sun on the street.

We also ate at McDonald's again today. In Ikekaburo it was cheaper than the one near us.

I bought a pillow.  Did I mention that the Japanese generally use one of two kinds of pillows--either feather or bean. Yes, bean pillows.  I opted for a 16 yen cotton one.

It's been a long day, but when I get a chance I'll post pictures of Ikekaburo.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment