About Me

My husband, Sid, and I both teach history in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Sid was awarded a Fulbright lectureship in Japan for the 2010-2011 academic year and so we are moving to Japan with our two (reluctant) boys. :)

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Oeno Pond

Some photos from Oeno Pond tonight.



Lily Pads covering much of the pond

Sam and Sid at the shrine

Swan Peddle boats

Traditional Japanese toilet in ladies room at Oeno Park--not it is essentially a hole in the floor.

Sunset over the pond


Lanterns lighting the way out

Close up of a lantern


Another shrine thing.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you need good knees to use that toilet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a strange thing. I haven't actually used one, but my understanding is that you squat over the hole. It makes it a little clearer to me why so many Japanese women wear dresses everywhere. And, I do mean everywhere. We took Sam to a little amusement park last night after we finished at the zoo (it was 100 yen a ride) and I think I was the only woman there not in a dress. Many of the little girls also wear dresses. I imagine it would be impossible to keep your pants off the dirty, smelly floor around the toilet (sometimes people miss the hole). So, a dress you could just hold up.

    ReplyDelete