About Me

My husband, Sid, and I both teach history in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Sid was awarded a Fulbright lectureship in Japan for the 2010-2011 academic year and so we are moving to Japan with our two (reluctant) boys. :)

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Back in the USA

On Wednesday Sid and I returned to the United States.  Okay, we didn't actually leave Japan, but we did attend a Fulbright dinner at the U.S. Ambassador's home which is located inside of the U.S. Embassy gates (and is therefore U.S. soil).  The residence dates back to the 1920s and was occupied by those men seeking to negotiate with Japan from the 1920s to the eve of World War II.  And now again.  It is quite a fancy place. Sort of interesting, though. The Ambassador's wife ordered art to decorate the house but so far it has not arrived and so she asked artists with a US-Japanese connection to create art for the home.  There is a tree sent by Yoko Ono where visitors write messages on tags and attach them to the tree.

Sid and Melinda on the entrance of the U.S. ambassador's home.

The entrance.

The Yoko Ono Tree with another Fulbrighter and his wife.

An interesting message on the Yoko Ono tree.

3 comments:

  1. You guys look great! Was the food better at this event? =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The food was wonderful! It was mostly American food. They had really good chips and guacamole. I felt like I gained 10 pounds in that one night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am commenting here because my log in page has returned to Japanese and I can't read it so I am hoping to log in this way!

    ReplyDelete