About Me

My husband, Sid, and I both teach history in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Sid was awarded a Fulbright lectureship in Japan for the 2010-2011 academic year and so we are moving to Japan with our two (reluctant) boys. :)

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Things I learned from Japanese fashion

Over the coming months I hope to illustrate all the things I have learned from the Japanese about fashion.  Unfortunately, it's hard to take pictures of strangers without them seeming to become offended. So, it requires that I have someone with me who can strike a fake pose in front of the person I really want to photograph.  At any rate, I have learned a lot from the Japanese about fashion:

1)  Any time of day is a good time to wear a little bling--sequined shoes, dresses, shirts, purses, belts, and headbands are in style all day long every day of the year.  Even if you work in an office or bank, you can always go with a little glittery purse or phone.  Glitter doesn't have to be just for those working in cafes or discotechques.

2)  Ever wonder whether to wear pants or a skirt? Why not both? And, all the better if you can pair the skirt-pants combo with some nice textured tights. 

3)  Scarves aren't just for winter anymore. You can wear them on warm days, too. Just be sure to bring a washcloth with you to dry the sweat on your face and neck.  (The washcloth comes in handy anyway as a towel at public restrooms which are not equipped with any kind of towel or hand-drying devices at all).

4)  Boys can wear capri pants--and especially ones that puff out at the knee--sort of like a medieval courtier.

5)  It is always good to look like an anime character.  You can have extra eyelashes woven into your own for a reasonable price in Rappongi Hills and then buy the dress and bow at Takeshita.   See the finished product:


Well, that is all the fashion advice for now. I hope to illustrate these for you in later posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment