About Me

My husband, Sid, and I both teach history in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Sid was awarded a Fulbright lectureship in Japan for the 2010-2011 academic year and so we are moving to Japan with our two (reluctant) boys. :)

Monday, November 22, 2010

Kabuki

Following up on the last post, I got the opportunity to go see a Kabuki performance.  Kabuki is a traditional theater performance--in fact, the Japanese language used in these is so archaic that even the Japanese in the audience rent the headsets that tell them what is going on in the play--where all the actors are men. So, men play all the roles.  It is very interesting that while many of the family-inherited jobs have gone on to just be jobs anyone can have, Kabuki is still owned, operated, and acted by Kabuki families.  So, there are very young actors (ages 4 or 5) that are in the family and who are excellent actors at even that young age.  "Extras" are drawn from outside the families, but the major roles all go to men in the Kabuki families. And, at least in the plays I saw, at one time on stage you would see three generations of men from a single family.

The Kabuki I went to consisted of 2 plays with a dance/song thing in the middle. I might also mention that the Kabuki musicians are also Kabuki families--so jobs handed down from generation to generation.  The middle musical performance I saw had one of Japan's national treasures in it.  I think his name is Nakamura Shikan, but it was sort of hard to tell and the program is mainly in Japanese so.... At any rate, there was thunderous clapping when he got on the stage. He is an old guy--about 80 or so. 

I was really excited to get to go to the Kabuki and I was very lucky. All around Tokyo you see the posters up and so I was interested in seeing the performance. But, Kabuki is VERY expensive (in Japanese you'd politely say "choto takai"--a little expensive). One of Sid's schools purchases tickets for the faculty, but Sid could not go as he had a fascinating conference on Japanese textbooks to attend. So I got to go in his place.  But, everything comes at a price. The Kabuki provides meals so you rush down during intermission to eat the bento they have prepared.  Yes, it was much fish.  And some other things not very identifiable.  Luckily there was a rice ball. Those of you who know me or who have been reading this blog know I do not like fish or strange food. I like hamburgers and hot dogs and pizza.  Someday I will be another obese American. At Kabuki, though, I was the gaijin (foreigner) who couldn't work the chopsticks properly and who as a result did not get to eat very much before we had to rush back up to the show.  Thank goodness my chopstick skills are still poor!  Eat no fish? No problem. Blame it all on the chopsticks. But, I have to say, that the entire table was quite entertained. I could make out enough of their conversations to know that I was the main topic and that several considered trying to find me a spoon or fork.  I think it was also mentioned that I eat like a toddler.  Hmmmm.

The show was interesting--it was a very interesting insight into Japanese culture.  But, it was also long. The whole performance (meal included) was a little over 5 hours. 

Well, I find that's what I have to say about Kabuki.


We went to Tokyo Dome yesterday and I hope to post some photos later in the week.  It's a tough one, though....national holiday tomorrow (boys home), Thanksgiving Thursday (boys at school but dinner invitation in the evening)...so, we'll see. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment