About Me

My husband, Sid, and I both teach history in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Sid was awarded a Fulbright lectureship in Japan for the 2010-2011 academic year and so we are moving to Japan with our two (reluctant) boys. :)

Monday, January 17, 2011

Ebi Skijanai!

Most everyone who has eaten with me knows that I am a very picky eater. And, most everyone who has eaten out with me knows that I have terrible luck eating out because, inevitably, the one order wrong at the table is mine and it is wrong in that the thing(s) I hate most are what I get--half-cooked steak, mayonnaise, etc.  I have mentioned before my aversion to fish, octopus, squid, shrimp, lobster, prawn, and seafood in general.  My luck holds the same here in Japan--every time I eat somewhere I tell them I don't want fish, shrimp (ebi), octopus (taco) on my food. But, that is exactly what I get.  Since returning from Thailand, where the food was yummy (and fish free), I have eaten lunch at a Thai restaurant (little, gross dried shrimp tossed on top and mixed into my papaya salad like little crunchy fishy peanuts), a Korean restaurant (a dash of fish oil tossed on top of the kimchi for reasons unknown), a Chinese restaurant (I ordered beef only--but there was no beef, raw or otherwise, only, yep, little shrimp-like things).  Now, it's hard to say--is it my Japanese or the Japanese of people at Thai, Chinese, and Korean restaurants.  All I can say is, Ebi Skijani (I don't like shrimp!)! Ebi Skijanai!!!!!  Ebi Skijani!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment