About Me

My husband, Sid, and I both teach history in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Sid was awarded a Fulbright lectureship in Japan for the 2010-2011 academic year and so we are moving to Japan with our two (reluctant) boys. :)

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I love Tokyo

Tokyo is a wonderful city.  I am always amazed at how I can get around town--all around town--all the while being completely illiterate. Well, illiterate for the culture in which I am now living.  I don't have to be able to read the names of the train stations because I can just look at the color and number codes and match them to my little subway map. And, failing that I can just ask someone--the Japanese are invariably helpful and if they can't figure out what you want they ask other Japanese people until they get an answer for you.  And, the food places are great for those of us who can't read or write. Indian, Mexican, Japanese, Chinese, whatever--you can just point to the wax model or picture of what you want. And, if you want something changed you can just speak in Pidgin Japanese and hand gestures until the waiter understands.  I have a new love of Ramen. I'm not talking about the Ramen we eat at home out of a Styrofoam cup.  Ramen here is delicious homemade noodles in a big bowl with fresh vegetables. Well, usually there would be some sort of meat on top, too, but I always get mine without.  Sometimes that takes a lot of doing because the Japanese love meat and fish and so it is rare to see anything on the menu without a meat or an assortment of meats on it. They think I am funny for only wanting vegetables on my Ramen.  Ramen is better than udon. Udon is fat noodles. And, if you go to a bad udon place you might get cold noodles and a cold cup of something to dip them in.  Try that with your chopsticks!

The fall weather is finally here--cool and dry with blue skies and puffy clouds.  It's lovely to walk around, row around the local moat, or eat Ramen at a little outdoor table by candlelight. 

All the Chinese restaurants have little paper lanterns--a nice touch., especially when they are lit up at night.  It is a cheerful place to eat out. And, I have to say most people seem to eat out.  We eat out on weekends and there are so many places to try. 

I started Japanese lessons today with one of Sid's students from Kyoritsu University. She is very smart.  I am very slow. Japanese is a tough language to learn.  It is a very polite language.  There are words stuck into sentences just to show respect.  For example, Ohayo is good morning, but you most likely will say "Ohayo gozaimas" to anyone you meet. Basically good morning with respect. 

But I did learn something funny today.  Sumimasen is "excuse me" and in the stores and subways you will hear people say that. But, at times you hear susumimas--I thought that it was just a shortening of sumimasen. Actually, what they are saying is basically hurry up.  I have heard that a lot--evidently I am often standing in someone's way--but, since I am a gaijin (foreigner) they think I don't know the difference. (which I did not until today). 

But, in general everyone is overly helpful.  I can't imagine an illiterate foreigner in NYC or even Fayetteville being handled so carefully and treated so kindly. And, they certainly would not be able to get around like I do here. I have a new appreciation for how difficult it is for foreigners to travel in the US.  I resolve to be nicer when I get home!  :)

3 comments:

  1. Thank you. I may start to hate Japan, though, if I can't learn to sleep here. We are stuffed into this little apartment and I hear the boys toss and turn on their futon bunk bed and Sid snores and clocks tick. It has been hard to get adjusted to the sleeping time here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melinda,

    Thank you for sharing your photos and experience with us. I know that I'll never get to go to Japan, but I almost feel like I've been. Everyone at FTCC will be waiting for you to 'come to work'. Have fun! If you need anything--let me know!
    Danette Johnson

    ReplyDelete